Blogs > N-H Fantasy Sports

News-Herald Assistant Sports Editor Kevin Kleps doesn’t just write headlines and stories. He also checks on his fantasy sports teams. A lot. See if the moves and news from the world of sports affect your fantasy teams.

Friday, September 16, 2011

Fantasy football: Is Reggie Bush a starter?

When my brother drafted Reggie Bush with the first pick of the fifth round of a 12-team league, I immediately thought it was the worst pick of the night, which was still young.

In Week 1 against the Patriots, Bush had 11 carries for 38 yards and caught nine passes for 56 yards and one TD in his Miami debut.

As luck would have it, I played my brother in Week 1. He didn't need to tell me I was wrong to make fun of his Bush selection because he beat me so badly he would have won without Bush's 24.4 points.

Am I incorrect about Bush? Time will tell.

Until then, a few points on why I still don't believe in the former Mr. Kim Kardashian:

-- In his first five NFL seasons, Bush never rushed for more than 581 yards.

-- He played in only 44 of 64 games from 2007 to '10.

-- In the three years in which he had 100-plus carries, he averaged 3.6, 3.7 and 3.8 yards per carry.

-- He has 30 touchdowns in 61 career games.

Yes, Bush is a very good receiver and can be an asset in point-per-reception formats (which is the scoring system the league in which I compete with my brother utilizes). In 2006, his rookie season, he had 88 catches for 742 yards with the Saints, and he had 73 receptions in 12 games in '07.

Bush, however, hasn't surpassed 52 catches in a season since, and he's averaged only 26 receiving yards per game since 2008.

His productive Monday night was helped in part by the absence of rookie Daniel Thomas, who was inactive because of a hamstring injury. Thomas is expected to return this week, and the pair should soon be sharing carries.

Miami drafted Thomas in the second round last April. And Bush can't be considered an ideal first- and second-down back.

I would expect Thomas to be "the guy" by midseason. And I expect my brother to admit I was right.

(OK, I'll settle for one out of two.)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home